The largely undisputed centre of all things winter in Montenegro is Kolasin, a quintessential mountain resort with plenty to offer those with an interest in winter adventures, whether it be slope or cross-country skiing, snowboarding, mountain biking, hiking, ski-doo or snow shoeing. Located 15-minutes drive from the town, Kolasin 1450 ski centre offers mostly beginner and intermediate level skiing via a combination of chairs and T-bars. Experienced snowboarders and skiers can also venture off-piste to get their kicks by heading to the top of the button lift and hiking 100m up the mountain face to access a series of steep valleys that eventually reconnect with the main run.
A small selection of restaurants offer traditional mountain food and many varieties of Rakija, the local grappa, which will help keep you warm even on the coldest of days. The town’s premiere accommodation, Bianca Hotel, has a fantastic breakfast buffet as well as excellent spa and wellness facilities. For après-ski, there are also a few local bars and nightclubs playing international and regional music late into the night.
Žabljak may be the smaller brother to Kolasin in the north but it has recently added two new hotels aiming at a younger, more design-conscious crowd (Hotel Zabljak and Hotel Soa). A ski centre located 5km from the town centre offers a modest selection of slopes with enough beginner-level skiing for a weekend. Facilities are limited and it is a long way away from your typical Alpine ski experience but is equally beautiful and rich in local experiences with promising signs for future development.
- Hit the slopes and après ski for the weekend at either Kolasin 1450 or Zabljak ski centres
- Go on a guided snow-shoe tour through Zabljak
- Take an off-piste group hike across Mount Bjelasica in Kolasin where you will enjoy spectacular views across the highest peaks of Montenegro and the border to Albania
- Ski-doo up up Sinjavina mountain and across the highlands to Zabljak
- Unwind at the Bianca Hotel spa, a day pass will give you access to all facilities including the gym, sauna, pool, whirlpool, and Turkish bath.