Montenegro offers outstanding scenery, whether you spend your days exploring by boat or venturing inland. With many anchorages, private coves, ancient towns and waterside konobas yachts can amble along the coast, stop for a swim, moor up for a bite to eat and go sight-seeing. Many of the towns have museums or a historical point of interest to explore.
The centre of sailing in Montenegro is undoubtedly the UNESCO protected Bay of Kotor, just a few kilometers from the Croatian border, and home to several marinas and yacht clubs. As southern Europe’s only fjord, this idyllic 93km2 stretch of water is lined with mountain peaks protecting the Bay from the open sea. Here the waters are extremely deep and mill-pond calm, much like sailing on a lake. From here yachts can leisurely explore the rest of Montenegro’s 295km of unspoilt coast line or head further afield, with easy access from Corfu right up to Venice and the eastern Italian coast. In addition, the traditional cruising grounds of France and Spain are also just a two-day sail away.
Wind conditions can vary, however Spring and Autumn are the best month’s for sailing, when the wind meets the changing temperatures of the mountains. The “Bora”, as it is known locally, is a cold, dry and gusty wind which comes from the north-east and can extend as far south as Malta. Coming from the south-east the “Jugo” brings warm winds from the Sahara. Both winds can provide exciting conditions for sailing and racing, but usually die off after lunch time. During the summer months the winds turn to a light breeze and the weather is very warm and stable along the coast.
- Take a three day charter in Montenegro and explore the coast of the Boka Bay to Budva and back
- Enjoy or take part in one of the local regattas hosted by the Porto Montenegro Yacht Club
- Sail the Bay of Kotor for the day and hop-off at “Our lady of the Rocks” islet, the old Austro Hungarian town of Perast or Kotor Old Town whilst sampling the waterside konobas
- Take a day course and learn how to sail or drive a powerboat – RYA certified qualifications available
- Enjoy a longer charter from Montenegro up the Croatian coast, you can reach Venice easily within 7 to 10 days