Home to the world’s 2nd largest canyon – Tara – and with the majority of the country covered in mountainous landscape, lakes and parks, Montenegro is a dream for adventure seekers. From high adrenaline zip-lining and white water rafting, to the more traditional hiking and mountain biking, this country has it all.
Most of the hiking and mountain bike trails are well sign-posted from the nearest main road and indicated with a red/white target painted on stones by the side of the path. Whether you explore with the help of a guide or venture independently, you are never far away from the next trail. Complete maps showing all routes are hard to come by, meaning the enthusiast would do best to focus on a specific area, such as Vrmac Hill or Mount Lovcen, and then explore the myriad of trails nearby.
The best locations for adventure are mostly inland however never more than a 3 hour drive from the coast and closer yet to the capital city Podgorica. It’s recommended to ask a local tour operator for guidance, or to join one of their tours, if you are new to the country and there is always the opportunity to tailor make a tour for a more personal experience.
- Take a hike up Mount Orjen in Herceg Novi which offers some of best hiking trails with great views out to sea and over the town’s many towers, squares, and churches
- Climb the some 500 steps which make up the walls of Kotor Old Town to San Giovanni fortress for a breath-taking view of the entire Boka Bay
- Mountain bike down the serpentine road from Mount Lovcen, stopping for a picnic at one of panoramic view points along the way
- From Tivat, hike along Vrmac Ridge from the Trojica fortress to Gornja Lastva
- Hire a Kayak and explore the Blue Grotto, situated between Zlatna Luka bay and cape Mokra Gora on the Lustica Peninsula
- Zip line or white water raft across the world’s 2nd largest canyon – Tara Canyon
- Horse-back ride amongst the mountain tracks and open plains of Kolasin
- Take a quad bike ride through the rugged terrain of Zabljak, located in the heart of Durmitor Mountain
- Go canyoning through Skurdur canyon’s cascade of boulders, offering stunning views over Kotor and the Bay
- Try caving Djalovica Pecina
- Get a birds-eye view of the coast and soar over Budva by paragliding from Brajici
- Tackle the high ropes courses at the Adventure Park located in Lovcen National Park